Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Amazed and Thankful!

As August is fast approaching I have been thinking a lot. Last summer around this time was so different than this summer. There are many things that have happened in the last 2 years or so. The biggest thing that happened last summer(in August) was that I've come back to the Lord. There was a point in my life where I wasn't praying at all and definitely wasn't being faithful(at least in my own eyes). Obviously if I wasn't having a relationship with God then I wasn't doing something right. Since last August things have totally changed...I'm actually seeing my walk with the Lord as something that is important. And it is! Really is!

When I look at my life now, I'm truly amazed and thankful. Somehow I was able to turn things around before anything horrible happened in my life. I think God had a huge part in grabbing a hold of me and bringing me back to Him. I'm so thankful that He is such a loving God. I don't understand how He can be after I repeatedly chose to turn away from Him but He is. For that I'm eternally grateful! Where would I be without the Lord at my side?? He is my refuge and strength.(Psalm 46:1). Without Him, I wouldn't be here today. Now when I struggle I've chosen to lean on the Lord as much as possible. It's not always my first choice but it's totally the best choice!

There have been many changes in my life since last year. I've made several different decisions that I think have helped me with my walk with the Lord. Some of those choices may seem very trivial but to me they're a big thing. Such as the movies I watch and the music I listen to. I was surprised how much those things really affect me! The things I fill my mind with make a difference. I never believed people before when they told me that what I watch or listen to can affect me but it really can. So now to a certain point, I'm careful with those things.

Another change that has happened in my life is my contentment. I am so much more content with being single than I ever have been. Without the distraction of a boyfriend I can work on serving the Lord more. Not that having a boyfriend is a bad thing. Just that I don't "need" a boyfriend. It's hard sometimes when so many of my friends have boyfriends. In the past it has made me discontent. But in the last few months I've decided that I'm content with being single for right now. Of course someday it might be nice to get married but I'm not in any rush. =)

The Lord has really worked in my life lately and has helped me deal with so many past hurts. Yes, I still struggle with some hurts but with God's help I'm working through those. I'm human, I'm going to struggle. I'm going to have problems. I have hope though. Knowing that the Lord will forgive me of my sin if I confess it to Him.

I want to encourage anyone who reads this to keep going strong in the faith. If you feel like giving up, don't. At the end of our lives we might be awarded for our good works in the faith. If you're struggling right now, remember that it's not too late to seek God. He's ALWAYS there. "I will never leave you" says the Lord. Even if we ignore Him or leave Him, He never leaves us. What an amazing hope and joy!

1 comment:

Grace said...

Good thoughts, Jess! God has certainly brought you a long ways since last summer! It's great to see evidence of HIS work in your life! Praise HIM!! :)