I know it's been quite a while since I've updated y'all on my life. Things have been crazy busy ever since volleyball ended. Working 60-70 hours a week doesn't leave me with much free time (the only reason I have time now is because I'm home sick). In my free time I like to work out, have my quiet time, sometimes take a nap and talk on the phone. *I'm so thankful for cell phones as it's my only way of keeping up with friends right now!*
Last month my volleyball season finished with a big bang. My girls performed to their absolute best. Throughout the season my girls had only won 1 game. Disappointing to most my girls...I assured them that someday they would be a better team with all their hard work.
See, I coach these girls to get the bump,set, spike pattern down. Each girl has a position (setter, outside hitter or middle) and different responsibilities. All this can be quite overwhelming when you're just starting out. Other teams we play against only have one goal: to get the ball back over the net. Usually that means sending it over on the first hit. If you can imagine that can be VERY frustrating to a group of girls that want to win games. (who doesn't want to win?! =) As a coach I told the girls at the beginning of the season that our goal wasn't to win games. It was to improve and to play volleyball the correct way.
You're probably all wondering where the exciting finish comes from when all we do is lose games...After losing all but 1 game for most of the season we came to the league tournament. This was a single elimination tournament. If we lost we were done for the season. Well, these girls came out ready to work hard. After a very scary, rough start: we ended up in the championship game! It was a very exciting game where we ended up losing by 2 points in the 3rd game! I couldn't be more happy with these girls! Even better is that these girls used their bump, set, spike on almost every play. We lost the game by a bump, set, spike where the spike went into the net. How can I not be proud of my girls for that?? *big smile*
Our verse this year was Colossians 3:23 "Whatever you do, do it heartily as to the Lord and not to men"
This verse came in handy especially towards tournament time. Our very first game the girls didn't have their uniforms(the uniform parents were late). At one point the girls were struggling and not focusing at all! I called a time out. During that time out one of the girls told me "We feel weird..like everyone is looking at us since we aren't wearing our uniforms". So I reminded them of the verse we'd been turning to all season. It was quite helpful and it helped them refocus! THANKFULLY! *happy sigh...* I love my girls and will miss them greatly! To God be the glory for what He did through us and for us this season!

No comments:
Post a Comment