This is something I wrote a long time ago but I reread it just tonight. It seems like it's time to post in on my blog. What are your thoughts?
What is Love? Have you ever wondered what love is? When is it too soon to love someone? What does love mean? Whether its a friend,family member or someone of the opposite sex. The word 'love' is a strong word.
I've been thinking a lot about this word lately and especially about the saying "I love you". I feel like this term is used way too loosely nowadays. You may not even know someone a month and you begin to tell them you love them. For example: Count every person you've said "I love you" to(not including family members) in the last month. Can you even count them all on your hands and feet combined? Probably not. I know I can't. Even I use this word and saying way too freely. If you think about it, do we really know what love is? Why do we tell our friends we love them so easily? If love is such a strong word shouldn't it take a little longer to tell someone you love them? This whole thought has taken me back a step. I decided to take things a little more serious when I tell someone I love them. To not use the word so easily and actually think about it before I use it. I've thought about this so much lately. Asking God to tell me what love is. Showing me how to love and be loved. It seems I've been burned by quite a few people lately. Since this has all happened I've been wondering if those people really love me and if I love them. To tell you the truth, I don't know. I may care for them but I probably don't love them like I say I do. I really can not tell you what love is. But I do know that the bible has a view on love. A specific verse came to mind about love this week...
In 1st John 4:8 it says that "God is love"
So at the very least we know that love comes from our heavenly father.
We also know that "God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son"
Gave = as in gave His life for the world.
As I take all this into understanding I've come to realize that love is something way more than a feeling. Real love, actually loving someone means being willing to die for them. Without counting your family members once again. Count how many people you are truly willing to die for. I'm sure the number you had before has been cut down to half the number it was. There are maybe only a hands worth, if that, of people I'm honestly willing to die for. I'm not saying that this is what love means. I'm only saying that we definitely use this word way too much. Love is a more serious word than you may realize at times. It shouldn't be so easy to tell someone you love them. Telling someone "I love you" should have more thought than it does.
I challenge you to think more seriously before the next time you tell someone you love them. Don't use the word as freely as you may naturally want to use it. For some this word is pressed into your vocabulary's. You may not even notice when you tell someone you love them. The truth is, when you tell someone you love them that should be real love. Not some fake mushy saying but being willing to lay down your life for another.
2 comments:
So this has come to my mind recently too.. just the fact that ppl say "i love your new car" " i love chocolate" do u really??? ive been thinking that it is another word i should reserve only for the times im talking to people. not inanimate objects. bc tru love isnt with inanimate objects.
Very well said! I have thought about love a lot lately too...it is way deeper then most people even begin to grasp. Perhaps we should talk about it sometime :) "But God demonstrated his love her us; that while we were sinners Christ died for us."
Post a Comment