Sunday, January 31, 2010

Winter Camp 2010

This weekend I was able to go back to Iowa Bible Camp. I haven't been there for camp since 2003. It's located in the Northwest part of Iowa about 3 hours away from Omaha at a place called Twin Lakes Christian Center(or Twin Lakes Bible Camp. think they've changed the name). I hadn't realized how long it'd been since I was there until we were on the way there talking about it. Growing up this was one of my favorite places in the world. The last time I went for camp I was 14 or 15 and was really bummed when we stopped going. So I was thoroughly excited when we started getting so close to camp and all the little memories started coming back.



The "5-some" at their best. Sam, Amanda, me, Sarah and Tabby(at the bottom). They built this new lodge a couple years ago and it was amazing compared to the cabins we used to have for winter camp.



So, I know it's just a bathroom but we were amazed by them. =) They were beautiful. We used to run to a bathhouse in the freezing cold during winter camp to shower. It was a blessing to have showers right next to our rooms!!

The lake.

Lots of things were much like they used to be and it seriously brought back so many good memories. Such as these stairs. I've had plenty of good talks with friends on these. =)


Sammy and I. My "old" in age and length of friendship friend. =P
The only reason I'm saying that is because you always do Sam!

It's hard to say what was the most fun thing of the weekend was but broom ball was definitely up there.

On the lake after our amazing time playing broom ball and trying not to kill ourselves. =)
*All these pics were taken by Amanda my camera broke while we were there =( *


This weekend was refreshing in more ways than just one. It was nice to fellowship with other believers, be able to witness to unbelievers, be enlightened in the Word of God and just get away for the weekend doing nothing more than hanging out.


Highlights of the weekend:
  • Got to play 2 hours of basketball!
  • Was active the entire weekend, pretty much never stopping except to eat or attend chapel
  • Saw people I haven't seen for 6 or 7 years
  • Finally got to ride a toboggan run. Incredibly fun!
  • Finally got to ice skate (I've been wanting to all winter)
  • Was encouraged by the teaching. Even though it wasn't my favorite teacher from Emmuas Bible College, we still had a good teacher with very encouraging teaching
  • Hung out with old friends
  • Came back refreshed and ready to go to school tomorrow =)
This basically sums up my weekend in a nutshell. I was totally encouraged this weekend and I think God knew that it's exactly what I needed.

5 comments:

Lesley said...

Looks like you had lots of fun Jess! Wow...ok, so I wish the bathrooms at CYIA were that nice!;)

You take it easy now after all that activity there...wouldn't want ya to have lasting side effects from your 'bonding time' with the ice.;D

Ashley Hoover said...

haha!! yeah.... the long lasting "side" effects.. ;)

it does look like a really fun weekend. glad you enjoyed it!

Anonymous said...

Looks like so much fun, Jess! Glad you were able to go! =)

Samantha said...

I was so refreshed by going! I needed some encouragement in my own walk, and I was glad that we could get "away" and have fellowship. I couldn't of asked for a better time. Summer camp?? any thoughts?

Jessica M said...

Oh, no worries guys, the side effects were not long lasting. Other than the bruises still being on my knees...I'm good to go =)

Sam- I heard that they talked about summer camp a bit at church on Wednesday. I'm thinking that I wanna go for sure! Now let's head up our posse' of children at church and go out in the deep scary state of Iowa =P you game??